To be a leader in our community with superior service, value, and profit sharing.
In 1956, 300 individuals paid $50 each to form a Co-op. As a result of the raised capital, Medicine Hat Co-op was formed and incorporated on April 13, 1956. The company started with a small grocery store in downtown Medicine Hat. By 1960, a Bulk Petroleum, and Agro Centre was added to the already established Co-op family. Over the years, Medicine Hat Co-op has grown and diversified into many products and services and several locations. Our facilities include; Food Stores, Pharmacy’s, Gas Bars, Cardlocks, Bulk Petroleum, Agro Centres, Liquor Stores, and Commercial Properties located throughout Medicine Hat and the surrounding communities.
Medicine Hat Co-op is best known for our Dividend Program – returning profits to our members.
Today, we have over 36,000 members and annual revenues in excess of $150 million. Over the last ten years Medicine Hat Co-op has paid back over $35 million to their members, an average of $3.5 million a year. This is money that stays here in Medicine Hat and area.
Our commitment to “Community-mindedness” goes beyond profit sharing with our members. Medicine Hat Co-op has confidently added new facilities, improved existing facilities and is constantly evaluating new opportunities. During the last 10 years Medicine Hat Co-op has invested in excess of $30 million dollars through building permits alone. Our corporate strategy remains one of constant improvement.
Medicine Hat Co-op employs over 230 employees, which work in a variety of different positions throughout the organization.
The continuing development of Medicine Hat Co-op is a priority for its board of directors, management, and employees. Medicine Hat Co-op believes in serving the needs of its member-owners through exceptional service, quality products, variety, selection, choice, and value.